National Professional Qualification for Headship
Yorkshire Leadership Community are accredited providers of the National Professional Qualifications (NPQ) accredited by the Department of Education (DfE). The government has confirmed that scholarship funding will once again be available from 1st April. Please see 'Funding' below for more information.
The Department for Education's National Professional Qualification for Headship is for senior leaders (primary, secondary, special or other settings) aspiring to headship, or for those already in post wanting to consolidate their experience with collaborative, theoretical and practical research, application and reflection.
Who is it for?
- be highly motivated to be a headteacher, no more than 12-18 months from applying for headship posts and ready to take up a headship as soon as they complete the programme.
- have the full support and endorsement of their headteacher or line manager. Their line manager will also have to commit to playing an active role in their learning, and encourage and promote their involvement in leadership and other professional development opportunities.
- have discussed with their headteacher or line manager the requirements of the programme in terms of the tasks that will need to be completed in order to attain the qualification (see 'NPQH Content Areas, Assessment Tasks and Assessment Criteria' below)
November 2020 and March 2021 Cohorts
Please see the 'How to Apply' section below if you are interested in joining one of our future cohorts.
The programme consists of 4 face to face days and online learning. All our face-to-face sessions are held at Harrogate Grammar School.
The scheduled dates are as follows:
|November 2020 Cohort|
|Day 1||Day 2||Day 3||Day 4|
|4th November 2020||9th March 2021||9th June 2021||14th October 2021|
|March 2021 Cohort|
|Day 1||Day 2||Day 3||Day 4|
|17th March 2021||22nd June 2021||7th October 2021||9th February 2022|
Please note that these dates are subject to change due to the current uncertain times.
The full programme is available at a cost of only £1950 per participant (inclusive of one assessment submission).
The DfE will fully fund participants who work in a Category 5 or 6 area school, with priority (where necessary) given to those who work in a school in one of the 12 designated 'Opportunity Areas'. Participants from a MAT or diocese which contains a school from a Category 5 or 6 area are eligible to be considered for DfE scholarship funding in relation to their NPQ programme fees. If you do not qualify for scholarship funding please enquire about our bursaries available for a number of criteria. Please get in touch to find out more details at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yorkshire Leadership Community offers a discount of £300 per participant on any of our courses for those who are not eligible for any other funding.
Learning outcomes and programme structure
|Learning outcomes||Programme structure|
The online community also provides:
- access to the YLC helpdesk
- support/ guidance on engagement
- an interface with facilitators additional to face-to-face days/ online resources
- optional online courses
How to apply
Download the application form below
Email the completed application form to email@example.com
Applications for our November cohort are now open.